Just realising not everyone knows the whole story, so here goes:
- Before Extraordinary Merry Christmas aired, we had some production stills that teased a significant Kurt and Blaine scene where Kurt was seen opening a ring-sized box. Klaine fandom went wild, obviously.
- When the episode aired, we were all left a little disoriented as we tried to figure out how the episode ended without us seeing the scene we’d been waiting for.
- Rather quickly, “sources” started confirming to the big entertainment websites that the scene had been cut, but that if we had seen it, we would have seen Blaine give Kurt a promise ring made of gum wrappers. Reports that the cut scene would be included in the Season 3 boxset followed.
- Then, the script for the episode appeared on auction, benefiting Project Angel Food. Two fans decided to take charge and organised a fundraiser to win the script. Fandom donated enough to win and plenty more in a subsequent fandom giveaway. In the end, they raised over $13000 USD.
A few things:
- I am so delighted to get my mitts on this script it’s unreal. Glee should publish whole seasons of these: I’d buy them in a heartbeat.
- I have a couple other favourite things from this script that were changed or cut but were really interesting as written.
- Kurt, Blaine and Puck were set as the elves in the All I Want For Christmas scene.
- The eggnog joke was actually in the script.
- Either Artie, Kurt or Blaine wears “Sunflowers” fragrance.
Is there anything else you guys are interested in from the script? We’ve been asked to not share it online in its entirety, but I can screencap bits of interest! I’m planning to watch the ep today and see what was changed and what wasn’t.
The Santana in the jewellery shop scene? It was fun. But really long and doesn’t accomplish anything (that said, the way they cut it doesn’t either — although the full script explains it better than the cut episode did–, which means I think it was an awful decision to keep that but cut the box scene).
ETA: as pointed out below the scene didn’t actually end up in the episode — we just got a video of Santana performing Santa Baby in the jewellery shop. And for those who are interested, it’s below. Also, I tried to find the Santa Baby video, but Glee have taken it down from their YouTube channel.